When interviewing plastic surgeon about their level of experience with gummy bear implants, here are 7 questions you should ask.
- How long have you used gummy bear implants?
Checking for the surgeon’s knowledge of long term issues
- Have you used over a hundred pairs of them?
Never ask how many a surgeon has done because he or she actually won’t know. But 100 is a key number and by watching their reaction you should be able to know whether they’ve done that many.
- How do you pick the implant size?
They should tell you that they measure before surgery…important for all implants, critical for gummy bears
- What are the biggest advantages of gummy bear implants?
Answers are shape, not rippling, resistance to breakage
- What do you see as the biggest trade-offs of gummy bear implants?
Answers are firmness, risk of rotation, longer incision, higher cost.
- Can gummy bear implants break?
If the surgeon says they can’t, head for the door.
- Between Mentor, Allergan, and Sientra, which one do you suggest for me and why?
It is a hard question and there is not one answer. But how they answer will demonstrate their understanding of the nuances of these devices.